Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Allergic to Moisturizer?!?!


Red, itchy, and irritated. My Valentine's Day in 3 words.

No it wasn't the flowers nor the chocolate (or Dough Donuts which are to die for!) But in fact it was my moisturizer that made me want to rip my face off.

My morning goes as follows:
I got out the shower I put on my moisturizer and proceeded to put on my primer. Right away I felt that something wasn't right. My face was a bit itchy and I figured it was because I didn't give my moisturizer time to completely sink into skin so in turn my primer started to ball up on my face. That in itself is a strange experience because it felt like the more I rubbed in my primer the more it turned into little eraser shavings rolling around my face. I just made sure to get rid of any residue left and proceeded to put on my makeup and get ready for the day.

By the end of the day I was more than ready to remove my makeup and stick my face in the freezer. My face was soooo itchy but it calmed down after I used my all time favorite face wipes Since the itchiness went down, after a couple of hours I decided to do my now weekly face mask using LUSH's Mask Of Magnamintywith my sister in law. That mask has been leaving my face silky smooth and it smells like mint chocolate chip. YUM! I don't just slap on the mask and wash it off. There's a process to this.

  1. Quickly wash face with Dove White Beauty Barand dry off with a towel.
  2. Put on mask and wait 15 minutes
  3. Rinse it off.
  4. Cleanse and tone with AHAVA Time to Clear All In One Toning Cleanser(A product that the Gods have bestowed upon me)
  5. Moisturize.
Now in the last step I encountered my problem.

As soon as I started rubbing in my moisturizer a red flag went up. Almost immediatley my face started getting red and irritated once again and I faced defeat.

Neutrogena's Combination Skin Moisturizer is now the fourth moisturizer to date that has given me an allergic reaction.

I had so much faith in this product. It didn't leave me feeling greasy, it absorbed quickly and it left my dry patches moisturized and the oily parts feeling normal. Unfortunately this one also had to be given away. It might have not worked for me but it might work for its next owner, my sister in law. 

Knowing that moisturizer is the only thing that keeps my face from cracking off into little flakes from this harsh New York Winter and my oily parts from having my makeup slide off among other things, I had to go find the next contender. In comes Cetaphil Fragrance Free Daily Facial Moisturizerwith much promise since I've heard this is what dermatologists usually recommend. If this one doesn't work out then I am officially out of ideas. 

If you guys have any recommendations for moisturizers or any clues as to what active ingredient keeps giving me these allergic reactions leave them in the comments below. But for now wish me luck!

Love,
Isabel M.

No comments:

Post a Comment